People have been coming to stay at Glenapp for more than a century to escape from the pressures of the world. The castle opened as a luxury country house hotel in 2000 after an extensive restoration and refurbishment and has now celebrated 10 years as one of Scotland's finest hotels.
Glenapp Castle was built in 1870 by the celebrated architect David Bryce for James Hunter, the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire.
The castle and its lands were purchased in 1917 by James Lyle Mackay, subsequently the first Earl of Inchcape. His descendants owned the castle until 1982, during which time they expanded the estate considerably and enlarged and altered the castle to its present form.
The McMillan family acquired the castle in June 1994, by which time it had sadly fallen into a very poor state of repair.
Their daughter and son-in-law, Fay and Graham Cowan, made the castle their home, and embarked upon a lengthy restoration which was completed in 2000.
Since opening the castle has achieved the highest ratings of any Scottish hotel with 5 red stars and 4 rosettes from The AA as well as a Michelin Star, 5 gold stars from VisitScotland and an EatScotland Gold Award.
Luxury Hotel Accommodation
There are seventeen luxuriously appointed bedrooms and suites at Glenapp. All are individual, and all look out upon the beauty of the gardens or across the Irish Sea to Ailsa Craig, Arran and the Mull of Kintyre.
The Master Rooms and Arran Suite are the largest and most luxurious rooms at the castle followed by the beautiful East Wing Suites and the luxury double and twin rooms. All of our rooms are pictured on our website at
The ensuite bathrooms - traditionally appointed - are equally luxurious.
All rooms have direct dial telephone, colour TV, DVD and CD player and mini safe.
The 36 acre grounds at Glenapp Castle are totally secluded and private, and are for the exclusive use of the castle guests.
There are many rare and unusual plants and shrubs to be found, including magnificent specimen rhododendrons.
Paths wander round the azalea pond, and through established woodland, leading to the wonderful walled garden with its 150 foot Victorian glasshouse.
Fresh herbs and fruit from the garden are used every day in the castle kitchen, and freshly cut flowers adorn every room.
For the more energetic, there's an all weather tennis court and croquet lawn and endless number of activities that can be arranged nearby.
We offer many and varied packages including luxury shooting breaks, gourmet weekends, golfing breaks, Meet 'Robert Burns', Star Gazing, Spa Packages and small intimate weddings.
Glenapp Castle is located within acres of beautiful Scottish countryside, just south of the village of Ballantrae in South Ayrshire, south west Scotland.
The castle is open seasonally and closes from 2nd January to mid-March each year.
In order to preserve the peace and privacy of The Castle and Grounds for our guests, we are not sign-posted from the main A77. Please note that the hotel grounds are accessed via automatic gates, so a reservation is essential for both resident and non-resident guests.
When approaching from Ayr and the North take the A77 South. Pass through the village of Ballantrae, crossing the River Stinchar as you leave. Take the first turning on the RIGHT, 100 yards beyond the river (not sign posted). When approaching from Stranraer and the South take the A77 North and turn LEFT 100 yards before the bridge over the River Stinchar at Ballantrae. Continue along this road for almost a mile until you see the closed wrought iron gates of the castle and the adjacent North Lodge house. The gates are kept closed in order to preserve the privacy of the grounds and are automatically controlled. Please use the telephone entry system provided.